Wednesday, January 15, 2014

New confidence...

I learned something magical at the motorcycle safety class.  Now, mind you, it doesn't mean I was jumping up and down at the time that I had to unlearn a bad habit.  But, I did decide to put in the effort, and am seeing the results. 


There's consistent debate about how much to cover your front brakes, your clutch, and your rear  brakes when riding a motorcycle.  Because I tend to like rules and safety (what kind of motorcycle rider am I anyway) I went with the habit of covering everything, all the time.  Well, that's like living life in a constant state of anxiety; everything seems dangerous and scary, and the only out is going slow or stopping.  At class, they worked on panic stops, using all five fingers.  And reminded me every time I slipped back into an old habit. It has been a struggle, but I am close to breaking the habit of covering everything all the time, and suddenly, there is an internal transformation!  I ride like I know what I am doing, most of the time.  I ride like I am ready to take on the world.  I feel like I am ready to take on the world.  I'm no longer nervous about what could happen, I'm paying attention to what is happening.  And, my hand is on the throttle, completely, rather than half way ready to stop, giving me even more control and more confidence.


It was noticed by my fiancée last night.  Sure, I'm not perfect; I enter some corners too slow still and get wobbly.  I second guess my decisions.  I forget to check when I am the leader if my person is following me.  But, overall, there is a difference.  I feel confident and happy and capable.  And, when I go into a corner, I experienced looking down the road, past the corner, at least some of the time.  And, on at least two occasions, I had time to think about lane position and apexing and where on the road to be to see furthest down the road and through the corner.  (we found a windy road and hit a few corners last night, so two out of ten is progress, not perfection. :) )  But his first feedback was that I am doing well.  Which, of course, made my night.


Still plenty to tackle, but I'm ready with a whole new attitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment