Monday, January 2, 2017

Happy New Year!

I hope the beginning of 2017 finds you well.  In this grand adventure we call life, there are so many ups and downs, and each can bring a full range of experiences and feelings.  Nathan and I planned to test ride our bikes on New Year's Eve, after doing some repairs and maintenance.  125 miles later, we had a wonderful and beautiful morning, meeting new friends and seeing a beautiful and familiar landmark.



We then went to a friends New Year's Eve Party, and had way too much fun with the dress up options.  




And, we made it into bed by midnight.  

Our New Year's Day started with snow and slush, but that did not stop us from heading out for the Polar Bear Ride!  



Only 75 miles today, but filled with friends, laughter, and every weather imaginable.  

I'm not a person for New Year's Resolutions, but our calendars get full very quickly.  Nathan and I are planning a trip to Egypt, and also a short trip to Lake Tahoe.  We are attending two moto events: Rocky Mountain Roll and LA to Barstow to Vegas.  I have a brilliant friend who wants to plan this years Fant Camp, so, I'm looking at our calendar for May, June, July, August, and September, and realizing how quickly the weekends get full.  In addition, I'm working on a new Women's Adventure Magazine www.womenadvriders.com, and in that position I am writing articles on riding technique and maintenance, comparing and contrasting training programs, and helping with social media and finding interesting and newsworthy content.  Oh, and there's the 40 hours a week I spend in my day job, which I adore, connecting with people, helping them develop new skills to manage their chronic pain, and helping them to feel heard and understood.  Oh yes, and I work on networking with the Oregon Counseling Association, setting up events and meeting with the committee and talking to members.  I also wrote three newsletter articles and did one training about Chronic Pain last year, and would like to continue more of that this year, because I greatly enjoyed both of those activities.  Then there's family and kids and friends, living and dying and sickness and health.  It is a fully, wonderfully, adventurous life!    

Which brings me to the point I meant to focus on when writing this post.  We have time for mostly short weekend trips, and limited weekends to do those.  I love Oregon, and while we may not live here forever, while we are here, I want to deeply connect and explore the wonder around us.  The places I am really hoping to experience this year are some of Oregon's Backcountry Discover Routes, the Steens Mountains, and the Alvord Desert.  We have such wondrous and diverse landscapes in our beautiful state.  Last year, I'd hoped to get back to the Olympic National Rainforest, so that is a loose desire for this year, but we shall see.  There are only so many fantastic camping weekends available for adventuring!  I have to remember to calculate in bike maintenance, laundry, dishes, etc as well... Sometimes those don't make the list when I get to dreaming about adventure.

What adventures are you dreaming of for 2017?

No comments:

Post a Comment